[Buddha-l] Monk/nun or lay person

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 12:11:55 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/2/2006 1:05:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
brburl at mailbag.com writes:

>I  tend to believe that anyone may attend Nibbana here and now. Lay
>persons doing everyday's work are just as capable of Nibbana as any
>monk or nun. My argument is that the method described in
>Mahasatipattana Sutta is a direct way to Nibbana and may very well
>be used by anyone and in any situation and for the disiplined mind
>every hour of the day. It may be it is easier for a monk or nun to
>disipline the mind but nobody needs to become a monk or nun in order
>to have a dispilined mind. The same goes for the ethical dimension
>of Buddhist practise.

You might read the Potaliya Sutta,MN 54. A householder goes to the Buddha
and says he has given up all his possessions to follow the Buddha. The Buddha
says giving up possessions is meaningless. Instead he should concentrate on not
 (1) killing, (2) lying, (3) rapacious greed, (4) spiteful scolding, (5)
angry  despair, (6) arrogance, (7) taking what is not given and (8) malicious
speech.

Jack