[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Wed May 24 12:39:21 MDT 2006

Curt,
Usually when the term "exclusivism" is used it refers to religious traditions which claim to have an exclusive hold on the truth and the means to salvation as most evangelical Christians believe ("take Jesus as your personal savior or go to hell".  Clearly neither Buddhist nor Hindu traditions are exclusivist in this way.  The question of whether they are exclusive of one another is another question and quite a bit more complicated, an excellent point which your question highlights.  We only need to look at Newari Buddhism in the Kathmandu Valley (or most any form of Buddhism) to see a perfect example of the blurriness of the line Westerners like to draw between traditions. Many Newars follow both Buddhist traditions and worship Hindu gods at their respective temples. Perhaps the issue comes to a question of whether we are investigating doctrine or popular practice.  And then there are those who identify with another religion like Judaism or Christianity, but engage in Buddhist contemplative practices as well and benefit from them.  Does that make them Christian and Buddhist?  If one is nominally Buddhist on the basis of taking spiritual refuge in the Three Jewels, then probably not. Except in the most liberal sense, I do not see how somebody can both seek salvation through Jesus and take their spiritual refuge in the three Jewels. But it is certainly a grey area and an interesting topic of conversation.
Jim Blumenthal

James Blumenthal
Dept. of Philosophy
Oregon State University