[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed May 24 15:16:24 MDT 2006

Curt, James, et al.,

You raise provocative questions on exclusivity and inclusivity.
Questions I can't answer. I'll just say two things. Regarding Hinduism
and Buddhism, in India they both defined themselves in opposition to
each other and influenced each other tremendously--especially on the
philosophical level. In truth, as Curt intimates, they're not-two. As
for Christian-Buddhist practice, I don't think there's one clear way to
do it, but I can tell you I've met folks who are deeply sincere and
seem highly accomplished in both paths. I'm sure you met similar folks,
not just dabblers, but seasoned practitioners. To me, it's all
metaphor, so I say good for them.

Best,

Franz