[Buddha-l] Re: Was Buddha a Buddhist

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri May 26 09:21:11 MDT 2006

A good enlightenment story should be enlightening. Definitely. The
little book "Dropping Ashes on the Buddha" has numerous little stories
in it about great masters, including a Chinese girl who attained
enlightenment and became a great teacher while leading an "ordinary"
life of a lay person, as well as another story about an entire family of
people (mother, father, son and daughter) who were all enlightened (I
think that one might be based on the famous "Layman P'ang"). These
stories often sound like harmless fairy tales on a superficial level -
but they reveal a great deal of depth on closer inspection.

I didn't know "Swampland Flowers" was back in print! I have an old Xerox
copy made from a library book. I have recently been reading "Zen
Letters" - which is from Yuan Wu's letters (he was, of course, Ta Hui's
teacher) - another "Cleary Brothers" production. The brief introduction
to this slim volume is quite interesting in its own right - has anyone
else read it? It is quite a sweeping denunciation of western culture and
Christianity in particular - but couched almost diplomatically enough
that one could miss it.

- Curt