[Buddha-l] Re: Was Buddha a Buddhist

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Fri May 26 12:31:17 MDT 2006

Benito Carral wrote:

>   Could  you share with us some of the book titles you
>had in mind? BTW, does someone know some good new books
>on  Chan  or  the  Chinese tradition? I think that it's
>good to share this kind of info.

The importance of the physical is all over academia these days (we've
gone all post-modern and left our rationalist logocentrism to the
Protestant Buddhists, I guess), so there are many, many works on these
themes, but some of the titles that come to mind include:

Andy Rotmam, Divine Stories: A Translation of the Divyaavadaana, vol. 1.
Cambridge: Wisdom Publications
Andy Rotman, "The Erotics of Practice: Objects and Agency in Buddhist
Avadaana Literature." Journal of the American Academy of Religion 71.3
(2003): 555–578.
Andy Rotman, The Power of Proximity: Creating and Venerating Shrines in
Indian Buddhist Narratives
</url?sa=U&q=http://www.smith.edu/religion/PowerofProximity.pdf>
David Eckel, To See the Buddha (HarperSanFrancisco), 51-72
Donald Swearer, “Consecrating the Buddha,” from Buddhism in Practice
(Princeton University Press), 50-57 (and most of the other articles from
the first part of this book).
Donald Swearer, Becoming the Buddha : the ritual of image consecration
in Thailand (Princeton University Press)
John Strong, The Buddha: A Short Biography
John Strong, Relics of the Buddha (Princeton University Press)
Daniel Boucher, “Sutra on the Merit of Bathing the Buddha” from Buddhism
in Practice (Princeton University Press), 60-68.
Anne Klein, “Meeting The Great Bliss Queen” (Princeton University Press).
Donald Lopez, “A Prayer for the Long Life of the Dalai Lama” rom
Buddhism in Practice (Princeton University Press), 170-175.
Richard Gombrich, “The Consecration of a Buddhist Image” Journal of
Asian Studies, 26/1, 23-36.
Reginald Ray, Buddhist Saints in India

Bob Sharf and Bernard Faure also have a fair amount of stuff out there
on this topic. . . maybe bodies, narrative, and mummies don't work for
everybody in terms of encountering the Buddha and thereby reducing
suffering, but it seems pretty clear to me (through both study and
experience) that this sort of physical presence does indeed serve.

Jamie Hubbard