[Buddha-l] Photographs of buddha-l regulars

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Wed Nov 1 11:33:36 MST 2006

On 01 Nov 2006, at 7:33 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> It always amazes me how little resemblance there is between how people
> actually look and how I imagine them to look
>
> I have looked in vain for on-line photos of a few other of my favorite
> buddha-l contributors.

Of course. Since we do not have selves, we see no point in self-
aggrandizement. At least not something as obvious as splashing our
image all over the net. Who do you think we are, Paris Hilton?

> One thing I have spent too many idle moments doing is trying to
> imagine what
> the Buddha looked like.

Just for amusement, there is this portrayal from Gore Vidal's novel
"Creation":

The Buddha was small, slender, supple. He sat very straight, legs
crossed beneath him. The slanted eyes were so narrow that I could not
tell if they were open or shut. Someone described the Buddha's eyes
as being as luminous as the night sky. I would not know. I never
actually saw them. Pale arched eyebrows grew together in such a way
that there was a tuft of hair at the juncture. In India this is
considered a mark of holiness.

The old man's flesh was wrinkled but glowing with good health, and
the bare skull shone like yellow alabaster. There was a scent of
sandalwood about him that struck me as less than ascetic. ... he
seldom moved either his head or his body. Occasionally he would
gesture with the right hand. The Buddha's voice was low and
agreeable, and seemed to cost him no breath. In fact, in some
mysterious way, he seemed not to breathe at all.

> Or was the Buddha even an Indian? After all, we have excellent
> iconographic
> evidence that he looked like a slender Greek god, or a chubby
> Korean. In
> another century or so I'm sure we'll have iconographic evidence
> that he
> looked like a Dane, perhaps a bit like Ole Nydahl.

Apart from the beard, I have no problem with creating, I mean
discovering long-buried iconographic evidence that the Buddha also
resembled Andrew Weil . . .