[Buddha-l] Tortoise mind?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 6 09:56:17 MST 2006

jkirk schreef:

>> I remember a passage from the Kausitaki Upani.sad, where it's argued
>> that the 'devas' have retired from a person while he is asleep,
>> because he doesn't see, hear etc. Often it's said (I don't remember
>> if that's the case in this passage) that the prana's retire into the
>> heart at deep sleep. So the general idea was in India that senses
>> without consiousness are like an electric microphone or camara
>> without batteries.
>> We can learn about a nonsensing mind in practical terms from the
>> experiments with sensory deprevation i.e. the satori tank.
>>
>> Erik
> ==================
> It's not always the case that people cannot hear in their
> sleep--depends on how deeply they are "under". Some doctors think that
> people in some coma states can hear people talking around them and
> what is being said. More research is needed.
> Are people still doing the satori tank thing? I was just trying to
> recall th eother day what these were called......these aimed at total
> sensory deprivation, right?
Yes. The other day a new institute opened which asks €30,- an hour, maybe it will cach on again.
You're floating in salted water, body temperature in the dark, you forget where you are and your phantasy makes overtime. I never had the experience myself, but I read some reports. Not everybody likes it.  One of the most interesting things was that some people were very sensitive for smells afterwards, this lasted the rest of the day.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950