[Buddha-l] New pagoda with relics being built in Mumbai

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 6 14:00:28 MST 2006

Bankei wrote:

"When I questioned a Burmese about this, he said it related to menstration."

It seems menstruation played a significant part in Chinese Buddhism too,  with the Story of Mu Lian and the apocryphal Blood Bowl Sutra. Alan Cole's "Mothers and Sons in Chinese Buddhism" is a fascinating take on Chinese Buddhism's "mining" gender relations.

Stuart