[Buddha-l] A vocabulary question for Stephen and Lance (oranyoneelse)

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Wed Nov 8 16:46:55 MST 2006

L.S. Cousins wrote:

> I think you need to make clearer what you think is the semantic field
> of the English 'wisdom'.

Dear Lance,

My understanding of "wisdom" is neatly encapsulated by the Oxford Dictionary
definitions I have to hand:

1.    The state of being wise.
*     Praj~naa is not a state according to the definitions I provided
previously.
2.    Experience and knowledge together with the power of applying them
critically or practically.
*     This is better but still not really adequate -- praj~naa is a function
and the definitions I gave do not seem to incorporate "experience and
knowledge", though these might arise from it.
3.    Sagacity, prudence, common sense
*    Not sagacity, prudence unlikely, but possibly sometimes common sense.

> For the Pali tradition paññaa is only found in some skilful states of
> mind. So it is definitely not the case that everybody has it. In this
> respect the Pali tradition has resisted the tendency towards a more
> intellectual interpretation.
When you say the Pali tradition, is this shorthand for the Theravadan
tradition ?  Are you saying that pa~n~na is a state of mind rather than a
function of mind ?  I am not sure what you mean by a "more intellectual
interpretation" -- although it is my impression that pa~n~na and its verb
forms are used with little terminological baggage in the suttas.  Is there
any nuance of meaning between pajaanaati and jaanaati ?

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge