[Buddha-l] A vocabulary question for Stephen and Lance (oranyoneelse)

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 9 00:53:25 MST 2006

Stephen,

You write:
>My understanding of "wisdom" is neatly encapsulated by the Oxford
>Dictionary definitions I have to hand:
>
>1.    The state of being wise.
>*     Praj~naa is not a state according to the definitions I
>provided previously.
>2.    Experience and knowledge together with the power of applying
>them critically or practically.
>*     This is better but still not really adequate -- praj~naa is a
>function and the definitions I gave do not seem to incorporate
>"experience and knowledge", though these might arise from it.
>3.    Sagacity, prudence, common sense
>*    Not sagacity, prudence unlikely, but possibly sometimes common sense.

Looking in an older version, we have:

Being wise, (possession of) experience & knowledge together with the
power, etc.

Note that this does not mention 'state'.

There also (for wise) we have:
(arch.) having occult power or knowledge of mysterious things

This is plainly not archaic, although the editors of the OED may wish it were.

I would put it the other way round. Paññavaa plainly can mean wise;
so paññaa must mean wisdom ! But I do not object to other
translations, such as 'understanding'.

>>For the Pali tradition paññaa is only found in some skilful states
>>of mind. So it is definitely not the case that everybody has it. In
>>this respect the Pali tradition has resisted the tendency towards a
>>more intellectual interpretation.
>When you say the Pali tradition, is this shorthand for the
>Theravadan tradition ?

In the tradition preserved in the Pali language. Theravaadins have
obviously used many other languages - including Sanskrit.

>Are you saying that pa~n~na is a state of mind rather than a
>function of mind ?

There is no such thing as a state of mind in abhidha(r)mma (or at
least not in the older pre-Mahaayaana forms). So to be paññavaa is
simply to have many specific acts of paññaa. But this is not true of
Suttanta where paññaa has a more general meaning. The definitions
people have been citing are effectively from abhidha(r)mma literature.

>  I am not sure what you mean by a "more intellectual interpretation"
>-- although it is my impression that pa~n~na and its verb forms are
>used with little terminological baggage in the suttas.  Is there any
>nuance of meaning between pajaanaati and jaanaati ?

Yes. You can also use jaanaati about knowing a name or fact. I don't
think you would use pajaanaati in that way. It always refers to
knowing or understanding something about names, facts, etc.

Lance Cousins