[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Nov 21 17:40:00 MST 2006

Couldn't agree with you more on this, Joy. Thanks also for posting this
special reference. It underlines what I have thought for years: that the
variety of capitalism, if not capitalism per se, is indirect or direct
violence to anyone who loses in the competition that is so vaunted as a
positive way of life here. The system that produces and promotes this way of
life is a version of Hell that the ancients had not a glimmer of.
Joanna
Joy wrote:
 ...These days as a parent I am witnessing what education does to my
children and other children I don't like what I see. The objective of the
French system, the one I know best, seems to focus more on selection than on
education. Call me a whimp and a hippy, but a system in which the (few)
winner(s) take it all, and the others have to build their lives with some
sense of failure is extremely violent and breeding violence, both invisible
and visible. It even scars the "winners".

Science 17 November 2006:
Vol. 314. no. 5802, pp. 1154 - 1156
DOI: 10.1126/science.1132491

The Psychological Consequences of Money
Kathleen D. Vohs,1* Nicole L. Mead,2 Miranda R. Goode3

Money has been said to change people's motivation (mainly for the better)
and their behavior toward others (mainly for the worse). The results of nine
experiments suggest that money brings about a self-sufficient orientation in
which people prefer to be free of dependency and dependents. Reminders of
money, relative to nonmoney reminders, led to reduced requests for help and
reduced helpfulness toward others. Relative to participants primed with
neutral concepts, participants primed with money preferred to play alone,
work alone, and put more physical distance between themselves and a new
acquaintance.

1 Department of Marketing, Carlson School of Management, University of
Minnesota, 3-150 321 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA.
2 Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahasse, FL
32306-4301, USA.
3 Marketing Division, Sauder School of Business, University of British
Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2, Canada.