[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 21 18:13:06 MST 2006

Gang,

Thanks to Joy for posting the _Science_ abstract on the consequences of
money. And thanks to Joanna's comment on it that sparked some thoughts
in me, as I've spent the last seven months in Canada--rather than my
home country of the United States.

Despite what many (especially, perhaps, in the USA) might think, Canada
is genuinely a separate country from the USA, not merely
geopolitically, but culturally. I've now lived in Vancouver for seven
months, and my daughter has lived in Vancouver for one quarter of her
young life. That is long enough for me to feel confident in saying that
a different "variety of capitalism" (as Joanna puts it) exists in
Vancouver from in Los Angeles. Yes, there is a certain remnant of
violence in the system in Canada, but the aggressively violent quality
of American capitalism is moderated there, replaced by a sense of
inclusionary responsibility for marginalized citizens. I felt that
rather than rejecting the outer layer of society, British Columbian
society strove (perhaps naively) to re-admit them. This is a project
that demands significant resources of capital, and the taxation system
in Canada reflects that. Luckily, the country's resources are not so
bled away in extra-continental exploits as they are in the States. I
truly wish Americans could or would look outward and see what a version
of hell--or at least a preta realm--we are inhabiting of our own
volition. I can't help but think that Richard Hayes has spent much time
reflecting on these differences after his long sojourn in Canada.

And now, at last, I approximate some Buddhist content: this cultural
difference from the States, subtle though it may be, I cannot ascribe
to Buddhism, though I wish I could. Buddhism surely has established a
presence in British Columbia, but the more compassionate capitalist
culture I encountered owes little to that presence. Rather, it has
deeper cultural roots. And this, perhaps, explains why I consistently
refuse (thusfar) to be a card-carrying Buddhist: because what I value
is not the label but the openness of heart I hope the practice may lead
me to.

Well, I have failed entirely to write a post reflecting the "academic"
discussion buddha-l purports to consist of. I suppose I just wanted to
say to everyone out there, "Um, sorry about my country."

Franz Metcalf