[Buddha-l] The root of ignorance?

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Wed Nov 22 02:56:54 MST 2006

Or was the question of asking what is the root of ignorance itself
ignorant,
because roots have no roots?
But if everything is dependently originated, how did ignorance
originate?
(Some replies below)

 > Lack of information is the root of ignorance.

Stefan

Then how did we come to lack it, since we have Buddha-nature?

2006/11/22, Piya Tan <dharmafarer at gmail.com>:

	 >  Shian,   Ignorance is the root because "I don't know"
reality.

	Well, "I don't know" about that! Am I ignorant or what!

	> Or, it can be said to be latent tendencies, we habitually do
things without thinking.

	Sounds like mindlessness or lack of mindfulness.

	> Then thoughtlessness is the root of ignorance.

	Then deep dreamless sleep is pure ignorance? Maybe we should use
the word "delusion" (moha) for discussion here instead. What is the root
of delusion?

	> Or, we assume that since we have been doing it for so long,
that it is right and proper, hence not learning new things.

	Sounds like complacence.

	Piya

	On 11/22/06, [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an <shian at kmspks.org > wrote:

		Perhaps the most difficult Buddhist question of all to
ask...
		What is the root of ignorance? (How did it arise?)

		(Yes, that question arose from ignorance itself)
		Any comments, anyone?

		- Amituofo, Shen Shi'an

http://foutdenktank.blogspot.com/

- waar men van flutinformatie preskop maakt.