[Buddha-l] The root of ignorance?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Nov 22 10:20:25 MST 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 22:21, [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an wrote:

> Perhaps the most difficult Buddhist question of all to ask...
> What is the root of ignorance? (How did it arise?)

I don't think it is possible to begin thinking about that question until we
have determined what ignorance is. And I don't think we can begin to tackle
that question until we determine what truth is. And I don't see any way at
all of arriving at a consensus on that. So perhaps we are asking all the
wrong questions.

Perhaps the question to ask is more like "What is troubling me right now?" The
answer is probably going to be something reasonably obvious, such as "My knee
itches." And the solution will also be pretty obvious, such as "Scratch it."

Most people who dig for roots don't manage to find anything but deeply buried
dogma.

--
Richard Pea Hayes
"It's unhealthy to be the disciple of another human being." --Peace Pilgrim