[Buddha-l] Dissent or Service?

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 15:49:51 MDT 2006

From: Jon Weaver
Subject: [Buddha-l] Dissent or Service?
To: buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com

However, here in Santa Fe New Mexico, sanghas are engaged with service  through hospice projects, soup kitchens, prison outreach, etc. It is  intimate and immediate service. Does anyone have ideas on how to make  big, distant problems like the Iraq invasion and ideas like peace, more  immediate? How can non-violent dissent "bring the war home?"

  Metta, Jon Weaver

----One way to take it to the big time is to take problems to the United Nations.  U Thant, once secretary of the UN was a buddhist - and I have seen a buddhist temple with with his name and dedication on it in Kushinigar, the place where buddha died.  In fact, I think Aung Sang Su Kyi of Burma worked for him in New York for a while.  Now I hear there is a Korean candidate near the top of the list of candidates to succeed for this UN Secretariat position.  Not sure if he is buddhist, but you don't have to scratch many Koreans too deep to find buddhist connections.

mike j wilson