[Buddha-l] distortions and generalizations

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 10 10:24:31 MDT 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 02:55, Elihu Smith wrote:

>There are so many cases of countries producing
> much much more suffering right now! The distortions
> and generalizations in the fixed anti-US position do
> not support truth or clarity.

On this we disagree.

To say that what I have said is a fixed anti-US position is itself a gross
distortion, and to call what I have said a distortion is at best an example
of begging the question. It is assuming that you are right and that deviation
from your position must therefore be a distortion. Bad thinking, amigo.

If you wish for truth and clarity to prosper, why not try to exemplify it
yourself? That would be a far better strategy than making carelessly
uncharitable characterizations of what is said by someone with whom you
simply disagree.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy