[Buddha-l] Re: there he goes again (sam harris)

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Sun Oct 29 13:56:15 MST 2006

Hi Mitchell,
>That does not change the specific passage in
>question,
>though, as far as I can see. If ekaayano (< eka +
>ayana) has
>the sense of going to one terminus, and not meaning
>the only
>way to get to that end-point, then "the only way"
>would just
>be a distorted rendering into English. Which is
>apparently
>the situation here.
I believe you on this point. I wasn't aware of the ekaayano topic. Now that I am, it surprises me to read the "only way" translation and interpretation in a text, written in collaboration by Soma Thera, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Dr. Cassius A. Pereira. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/wayof.html#discourse
Is this perhaps a topic within the old Buddhist schools or is it simply a matter of different interpretations?