[Buddha-l] Re: **REALLY** Western Buddhism

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Sun Oct 29 18:03:24 MST 2006

James Ward <jamesward at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Michael LaTorra wrote:
>
> > As for Curt's ineffectual prayer to Kanzeon on behalf of Sam Harris, I
> > can only remark: Doesn't this failure tell you something about the
> > effectiveness of prayer? (See also the recent study showing that heart
> > patients who were prayed for did **WORSE** than the control group.)

WARD:
> (Taking a break from practicing how not to be seen...)
>
> "May all beings be happy" -- *yawn*.  Wake up!  Are you going to wish
> the world well or not?

MIKE:
Are you suggesting that there is a necessary connection between believing in
nonsense and wishing the world well?

If so, wouldn't that imply that the Buddha was wrong to try (and purportedly
succeed) in "seeing things as they really are"?

WARD:
> I don't expect the planet will say no to having another friend just
> now.

MIKE:
How does having an imaginery friend yield real benefits?

Perhaps you agree with the claim of Socrates in Plato's REPUBLIC that the
people should be fed a "noble lie" for the good of society.

Needless to say, I don't see things that way.