[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Sun Apr 1 17:10:11 MDT 2007

In a message dated 4/1/2007 2:51:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan.detrez at gmail.com writes:
> I still wonder why religious thought should be treated as untouchable for
> critique, 'because it's religious thought'. We have already come so far that
> we wonder whether there is room for creationism to count as a scientific
> theory.

I think, Stephan, that the real issue lies in the moral sphere, not the
sphere of ideas.  The various ideas related to some form of creation can be and are
coherent, cogent, and for very many, evidently concincing.  For instance, the
that there must be a point (outside of time) where what was not came into
being on account of a transcendent Cause that is not one thing among others is
entirely reasonable when contrasted with the idea of an infinite regress.  One
can conceive analoguous or parallel arguments with notions of time and motion.
Atheists, who naturally seek other explanations, cannot accept any form of
creation in the strict sense and remain atheists.  Hence, even if they should
concede a rationale for creation being reasonable, nonetheless, they will reject
the idea on a moral ground.  Unfortunately, they also apparently will not
allow others to teach anything contrary to what they presently hold as the status
quo in the schools.  Such notions of freedom of thought, speech, etc. are
then summarily quashed and anything having to do with an argument for a creation
is in some form or other presented as a surd.

Regards,

Stan Ziobro