[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Apr 2 13:46:06 MDT 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007 17:10, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:

> For
> instance, the that there must be a point (outside of time) where what was
> not came into being on account of a transcendent Cause that is not one
> thing among others is entirely reasonable when contrasted with the idea of
> an infinite regress.

Surely there are three possibilities. 1) The world came into being out of
nothing. 2) The world has always existed and therefore was never created. 3)
Every given state of the world emerged from a previously existing state, and
no matter how far back one goes one will never find a first state.

No one has yet succeeded in convincing me that any one of these scenarios is
entirely reasonable in contrast to the others. They all seem equally absurd
and untenable. So perhaps the Buddha's advice was not bad when he recommended
that we not try to answer the question of how the world got here, since
nothing of practical importance hinges on the answer.

>  Atheists, who naturally seek other
> explanations, cannot accept any form of creation in the strict sense and
> remain atheists.

I know plenty of people who claim to be atheists who believe in some version
of the big bang hypothesis. One version of that theory holds that
intelligence is one of the primitive elements of the universe and that
intelligence is inherent in all things. I know folks who claim that one could
hold that view and still be an atheist. These various big bang hypotheses
seem to be a versions of creatio ex nihilo. Should my atheist friends worry
about holding two incompatible beliefs?

> Hence, even if they should concede a rationale for
> creation being reasonable, nonetheless, they will reject the idea on a
> moral ground.

Now you have completely lost me. Why would one have to reject a moral ground
if one believed that the world has always existed and therefore was never
created, or that every given state of the world emerged from a previously
existing state, and no matter how far back one goes one will never find a
first state.

> Unfortunately, they also apparently will not allow others to
> teach anything contrary to what they presently hold as the status quo in
> the schools.

As I am sure you are aware, Stan, that is an egregious misrepresentation of
the facts. Very few people of any persuasion are opposed to the idea of
intelligent design being taught in schools. What almost every intelligently
designed creature is opposed to is unscientific dogmas being taught in
classrooms as if they were defeasible, fallibilistic hypotheses capable of
being overthrown by properly collected data. It is just bad pedagogy to
present non-scientific dogma in courses designed (intelligently) to teach
scientific method. It does not follow from that that intelligent design is
unworthy of being subjected to the same critical scrutiny as every other idea
in a philosophy classroom.

> Such notions of freedom of thought, speech, etc. are then
> summarily quashed and anything having to do with an argument for a creation
> is in some form or other presented as a surd.

If only intelligent design propagandists were as surd as they are absurd. But
I digress.

Yours is an assertion for which I see very little evidence, Stan. Again, I
think it's important to distinguish between being opposed to something being
presented as something it manifestly is not and being opposed to that thing
being presented at all. One can be opposed to teaching intelligent design
theory in a biology classroom as if it were a legitimate scientific
hypothesis without being opposed to it being taught in philosophy classrooms,
homes, churches, public parks, Fox News, Republican fund-raising rallies and
in the driver's seats of NASCAR racing cars.

Conversely, one can be a staunch advocate of free speech and still hold the
position that not every belief needs to be articulated in every possible
venue. Both the scientist who wants to keep the Bible (or the Qur'an or the
Bhagavad-gita or the Pali canon) out of the physics and biology classrooms,
and the preacher who wants to keep Darwin out of the revivalist tent can be
an advocate of free speech in society as a whole. It is only those who say
that an idea may not be taught anywhere at all, and that books promoting that
idea be burned or people espousing the idea be silenced, who are opposing the
principle of freedom of speech.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy