[Buddha-l] Fighting creationism

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Fri Apr 6 06:01:09 MDT 2007

>Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
>
>>The rest of what you say about God is something that presupposes adherence to
>>a particular brand of Christian theology and is really irrelevant on
>>buddha-l. One could, I suppose make it relevant by referring to medieval
>>Indian Buddhist arguments against certain Brahmanical theological claims, but
>>why rehearse a bunch of arguments from 1500 years ago?

Richard,

I was thinking about this a bit more last night.  I sought to keep my remarks on the level of reason, as have Bob, Stephen, and even you.  It simply is not the case that what I've written necessarily presupposes a certain Christian perspective.  I've brought no Christian scriptural evidence to bear on the matter, and outside of mention of Aquinas, I've not elicited any patristic testimony, any ecclesial counciliar authority, etc.  Even the reference to Aquinas is to a work of his where he specifically refrains from uniquely Christian modes of argumentation and restricts his exposition to a reasoned investigation until he comes to the last part of that inquiry, and even there he does so under a reasoned approach.  In short, I think your remarks, though perhaps understandable, are either a bit gratuitous.  But they might also be something else.

Stan