[Buddha-l] Desire

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:24:00 MDT 2007

The unawakened runs on desires (like and dislike).

The unawakened (based on my understanding of the early texts) run of
compassion and
wisdom. When they are hungry they eat, when they sleepy they sleep,
and they never talk like Zen masters :) or behave strangely like Siddhis.

I suppose if the layman remains an arhat, the might just waste away from
lack of
desire , but this is one "mystery" still not answered fully yet. We have
lost  a lot of
scripture thanks to the Turkish raiders during the 12th century.

The Vinaya rules makes sure that the Arhats live on to benefit others.

Piya Tan