[Buddha-l] question about Chan-Master Dongshan Liangjia

M.B. Schiekel mb.schiekel at arcor.de
Mon Apr 30 01:35:39 MDT 2007

Hallo,

here a question about an old chinese Chan-poem of master Dongshan
Liangjia, the Băojìng Sānmèigē (jap. Hōkyō Zanmaika).

In line 42 we have: 木人方歌 石女起舞 =
"The wooden man starts to sing, the stone woman gets up dancing."

After Dongshan, this line is quoted very often in the Chan-literature.
Now I'm wondering, if this image of "the wooden man and the stone woman"
is an old traditional chinese symbol or an invention of Dongshan.

On the other side I guess I've read anywhere, that Baizhang Huaihai
cites Bodhidharma with:
"to stop all thoughts and emotions, you have to sit like dry wood or a
stone". But here I can't find any source.
So might be, there is a connection of "sitting like dry wood or stone"
to Dongshan's statement.

Thank you, and all the best wishes for you,
bernhard

--
http://www.mb-schiekel.de/