[Buddha-l] Granting Mercies (was: Natural Evil)

Shiangtai Tuan shiangtai at alumni.duke.edu
Mon Apr 30 08:43:58 MDT 2007

At 08:05 AM 4/30/2007, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:
>The question is whether the Pope will grant ...

Hi,
         This line reminded me of the recent mercy granted by the
Pope -- the millions of souls in limbo are now sent to heaven.

         Just my curiosity, does any one know if the Pope has the
authority to send them to that boring place, or if the Pope merely
carried out a recent order from his God, or if the Pope carried out
this order late, delayed intentionally or unintentionally for two
thousand and seven years.  I know I am asking a wrong questions
(rather, asking a  question to the wrong list, a non-catholic list).

         This poses a linguistic problem too.  Now that the specially
designed place is closed down by the Pope, what word can we use to
describe thing being put in such an undecided state.  A proposal, by
the Grace of the Pope, limbo is merged to heaven, maybe whenever we
were to say "he is put in limbo" we should say "he is put in heaven".

Best Regards, Shiangtai