[Buddha-l] A candid question

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 17:51:41 MDT 2007

Stephen et al.,

Yes, I was implying that it was in the British North American colonies
that the first truly public lending libraries originated. But I've now
consulted Wikipedia and found that--unsurprisingly--the history of the
library I was taught in the United States is not the only one. Since
we're in disclaimer mode, I'll wonder out loud if there might have been
lending libraries open to the public further removed in time and space
than Western Europe or North America. I somehow doubt that the various
sanghas lent manuscripts, but perhaps the enlightened leaders of
Cordoba? Or Chang-an? Or Alexandria?

Anyway, thanks for the little lesson in jingoism and (Buddhist content)
attachment,

Franz