[Buddha-l] A candid question

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 30 20:01:11 MDT 2007

Franz,

Paul Groner recently gave a talk at the  Princeton  Buddhist Seminar: "The
Creation of Japan's First Public Library." It was founded by an interesting
man named Ryoo Dohaku (born in 1630) around 1670. Dohaku made a quite a bit
of money selling medicine. He had an interesting and odd life, becoming
ordained as a monk at the age of 12, after much death in his family. In 1696
he built another library at Bukkokuji and named it "The Hall to Encourage
Public Learning."

Stuart