[Buddha-l] Midnight at the Oasis

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Feb 7 21:55:37 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Kish" <wdkish81 at yahoo.com>

Joanna:

> Ahhhhh.......the desert calls:
>
> MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS
> Maria Muldaur~~a goldie oldie

Hi Joanna - this song was actually written by one of Chogyam
Trungpa's most senior students, David Nichtern.  I believe he
played in Maria Muldaur's band when she recorded it. I guess you
could count him among your list of Buddhist composers, even if he
works primarily as a writer of "popular" music.  You also left out
Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter from your list (they both practice
in one of the Nichiren traditions).
Bill Kish
bill-----thanks for the background.........the version of the lyrics i found
online, since i'd forgot most of them, included Nichtern's name under
Muldaur's. i had no idea he was a buddhist. for list brevity i just deleted
it. bad me.
nor do i know about hancock or shorter.........thanks for posting all this!
so there we have it--i just intuitively knew that this song had some bearing
on matters buddhist, even if i didn't know which ones :)
joanna