[Buddha-l] Yogi with a cell phone

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Feb 20 14:33:28 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Piya Tan" <dharmafarer at gmail.com>
> How about some discussion on how we can make some (or any) sense of
> all this. After all as Gregory Schopen writings (and also John
> Marshall before him) have shown monks minting money near the
> Dharmarajika Stupa (in Taxila) even before the Turks ravaged India,
> and scholars like Tambiah and Seneviratne write that they are still at
> it in various ways even today.
>
> I recall reading sometime back a group of Sri Lanka lay Buddhists who
> outright the monks and decide to practise on their own. In fact, I am
> trying hard to do this.
>
> For one thing, it is really great we have a forum where this can be
> openly discussed, as these are realities we have to deal with somehow.
>
> Piya Tan
Well, I find the ringtone of the lama in Norway's cell phone--an audio sound
of the (English?) words "ring ring"--to be pretty Zen, ya know.

But this thread also raises a question------does the Pali canon offer
examples, few or several, of monks going materialistic, over gold, girls, or
entertainments?

Joanna