[Buddha-l] How to help the Dharma grow in the USA

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Wed Jan 3 11:05:43 MST 2007

Richard wrote:

>Buddhist temples, churches and centers are growing increasingy empty,
>populated only by a few pot-bellied former pot-smoking hippies who just
>can't let go of their misspent youths. The Zen cushion has given way to
>the wheelchair. Can Buddhism survive another year in America?

If you look at how far mahaayaana Buddhists went to convert Shaivists and other pagans, or in more official terms to "subdue or subjugate their gods and demons etc." by creating gods and goddesses with similar appearances and by mimicking their rituals, with jargon and everything, I am sure your generation of baby boomers could come up with ways to inject Buddhism in whatever can hook the attention of the younger generations. You may end up having some fun yourselves.