[Buddha-l] Re: How to help the Dharma grow in the USA

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Jan 3 13:49:42 MST 2007

In message
<EF8F4571A0077848B837BD776D91C5F94B34A6 at COMEXCHANGE.hscnet.hsc.usf.edu>,
"Vera, Pedro L." <pvera at health.usf.edu> writes

>But this leads me to a question I have been thinking about for a while.
>How can we judge "orthodoxy" or "authenticity" in Buddhist teachers.
>Yes, I know about transmission of the bowl, etc, etc, but is there a
>body in any branch of Buddhism that grants an "imprimatur" on a certain
>teacher/lineage? I know that a preface by the Dalai Lama on any Wisdom
>book operationally acts as an "imprimatur", but is there a more formal way?

In the Lam Rim tradition,  there is a list of certain qualities that one
should look for in one's choice of teacher.  There are ten of these, but
the minimum requirement for a Mahayana teacher is two:  1) he should put
next life's benefit  before this life's benefit,  2) he should put other
people's benefit before his own. I don't think this can be 'formalised'.
As His Holiness says, we should 'spy' on our prospective teacher - maybe
for 12 years. What these two qualities suggest to me is renunciation and
compassion. I would expect a smidgen of wisdom would also be present for
those qualities to been cultivated.

--
Metta
Mike Austin