[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jan 4 11:02:48 MST 2007

Today I saw a reference to a Francisco Varela, so looked him up.
>From this obituary, the following:
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/varela/varela_index.html

"Francisco, an experimental and theoretical biologist, studied what he
termed "emergent selves" or "virtual identities.".....

...an experimental and theoretical biologist, studied what he termed
"emergent selves" or "virtual identities." His was an immanent view of
reality, based on metaphors derived from self-organization and
Buddhist-inspired epistemology rather than on those derived from engineering
and information science. He presented a challenge to the traditional AI view
that the world exists independently of the organism, whose task is to make
an accurate model of that world - to "consult" before acting. His
nonrepresentationalist world - or perhaps "world-as-experienced" - has no
independent existence but is itself a product of interactions between
organisms and environment. He first became known for his theory of
autopoiesis ("self production"), which is concerned with the active
self-maintenance of living systems whose identities remain constant while
their components continually change...
                             "If everybody would agree that their current
reality is A reality, and that what we essentially share is our capacity for
constructing a reality, then perhaps we could all agree on a meta-agreement
for computing a reality that would mean survival and dignity for everyone on
the planet, rather than each group being sold on a particular way of doing
things."  F.V.
http://www.enolagaia.com/Varela.html  Apparently he died quite young
(1946-2001) Here's another link:

Has anyone on this list interested in mind studies read anything by Varela?
Comment?

Joanna