[Buddha-l] Re: buddha-l Digest, Vol 23, Issue 8

Elihu Smith elihusmith at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 13:20:37 MST 2007

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:33:40 -0500
> From: curt <curt at cola.iges.org>
> Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Re: Flute and Buddhism

> > There was a Japanese Zen Sect, the Fuke Sect, in
> which
> > the monks primary practice was suizen (blowing
> zen).
> >

> Fuke actually originated in China. I believe that
> "Fuke" himself was
> either a student of, or possibly a dharma brother of
> Lin Chi (from whom
> the Japanese Rinzai sect takes it's name).
>
> - Curt

Puhua (Fuke) was a Dharma heir of Panshan Baoji (in
Tang dynasty China). He is a contemporary of Linchi
(Rinzai) and his encounters with Linchi are recorded
in the Record of Linchi. It is Fuke's lineage that the
Fuke Zen School in Japan claims. There is no evidence
that he or those in his lineage in China used flutes
as part of their practice, though Puhua used bells
during his pilgrimages.

For more on Shakuhachi, the Fuke school in Japan see:

http://www.rileylee.net/Thesis14Mar06%20Folder/chap3.html#page106

Elihu