[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

Tony Trigilio tony at starve.org
Thu Jan 4 14:48:29 MST 2007

Thanks for posting the other Varela titles.  I would agree with Richard
that _The Embodied Mind_ is worth the effort if you're not familiar with
the discpline-specific language.  The connections for Buddhist
practitioners are invaluable.

> The result could be seen as the
> beginnings of a replacement of a lot of seriously outdated abhidharma. It is,
> when one thinks about it, a bit silly for modern Buddhist practitioners to be
> studying texts based on a fourth century knowledge of geography, physiology
> and psychology.  Varela and Rosch bring us up to speed in psychology and
> physiology.

And, yes, best of all, it's a _contemporary_ discussion of Buddhist
theory and practice -- no need for readers to do major cultural, social,
or scientific "translation" to make the book compatible with the 21st
century.

Best,
Tony