databases (was: Re: [Buddha-l] Tibetan for...?)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jan 7 10:28:14 MST 2007

JK
'You say patayto, I say patahto, you say pajama, I say pajamma,' as in
the old Louis Armstrong- Ella Fitzgerald song, 'Let's call the whole thing
off...'
Spoken languages change. Like everything else. That song reflects variations
in pronunciation of certain words back then.

RH       ......... (Many Hispanics would see it
> as "talking down" to them, as if one were assuming that they do not
> understand English well enough to understand the name Albuquerque when
> pronounced in the Anglo way.)

          Well yes, not doubt pronouncing Albuquerque correctly would
imperil one's businsess accounts.

>> To include a Buddhist reference, I'm always amazed by Americans who
>> insist
>> on pronouncing dharma as dhaarma.
>
> It's not insistence or stubbornness. Again, it's honoring the phonetics of
> the
> language one is speaking. One has a much better chance of being understood
> (and not seen as a prissy show-off) if one pronounces "dharma" and "karma"
> as > English words (which, by the way, they have become) that if one
> pronounces
> them as they are pronounced in India.

     Honoring phonetics? In Amurrika? Honor is the last thing anyone bothers
with when speaking ordinary American English. The thought doesn't even
occur, except to pedants or course.
Stubbornness wasn't mentioned, until you included it.
However, prissy show-offs are legion on this list, especially when invoking
native American Indian languages, on and on.

      Basta already.......