[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 05:40:49 MST 2007

In message <45A62112.1020406 at xs4all.nl>, Erik Hoogcarspel
<jehms at xs4all.nl> writes

>The weak point of Varela is precisely his biologism, the illusion that
>you can explain human behaviour and even the meaning of life by means
>of biological theories.

I find one of the most illuminating aspects of reading "Gentle Bridges",
where Varela and other scientists are in discussion with the Dalai Lama,
is where probing questions were posed by the Dalai Lama. I could sense a
palpable atmosphere of minds opening beyond mere biological explanation.
I have not read any Varela, so I wonder if you are referring to opinions
he may have held prior to the series of dialogues with the Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama himself is, of course,  very interested in the work being
done by such scientists and is quite open to review traditional Buddhist
explanations in accordance with their findings.

--
Metta
Mike Austin