[Buddha-l] Buddhist pedagogy

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jan 12 08:40:33 MST 2007

Hi Stefan
Who is being addressed by L.S.?(if it's obvious to everyone but me, sorry for being dense.)

I wonder about doxological intentions in the western Buddhist situation.
In places where Buddhism is the local age-old moral/philosophical tradition, children learn what to do and why because their parents are "doing and saying" at home, and also take the kids along--to the pagoda, or whatever. They usually keep a small shrine in the house, a small elevated platform with icons etc, on a wall in the correct location inside a house (or in the case of Thai, also one outside the house). In Bangladesh, Buddhists might just have a poster of the Buddha on their wall. Children learn by observation and being included, from early childhood on up.
If that's not possible, you could start when your child learns to read, or even before by reading to her yourself,  books with jatakas, or other Buddhist literature created for children. Many of the large Buddhist publishing firms, like Shambhala or Wisdom, carry such books. But your own practice around her will make more difference than any formal instruction is my guess.

Cheers,
Joanna