[Buddha-l] Buddhist pedagogy

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jan 13 12:16:26 MST 2007

Stefan wrote:
=======
L.S. stands for lectori salutem, which is Latin for 'hail to the reader'.

I can imagine. Thanks for your help. The question whether teaching the
tilakkhana to young kids (as young novices, for example) is beneficial
remains unanswered.  Is a young kid able to 'understand' the absence of a
self, or 'all is characterized by suffering'? (I figure 'impermanence' is
this easiest).

In what way is this different from instilling particular beliefs (as is done
in theistic traditions (Mary a virgin, Mohammed the last profet, pork is
bad, resurrection, 'speak the truth and speak it ever, causeth what it
will', etc.), which might remain unquestioned or even incomprehensible to
kids?

Cheers,
Stefan
===================
I have never seen that Latin phrase-thanks.

Well, if your question applies to the "young novices" you cited, as child
monk recruits whether temporary or permanent, my guess is that matters of
belief are simply drummed into them as per other age-old teaching practices:
memorization of texts, recitation of texts, and so on. I doubt if their
teachers give much thought to how much of it the kids understand. However,
I've not seen any research or commentary that reports on the beneficence or
efficacy of such pedagogy re: Buddhism.  (This doesn't mean that none
exists. I simply haven't seen any. Has anyone?)
There is plenty on such methods being counter-productive and boring re:
other kinds of education.

I doubt if trying to get a novice-age kid to understand the notion of anatta
is a good idea; it could be a bad idea (if we are dealing with western
social environments). Establishment of a solid sense of self (however
conventional it may be) is no doubt beneficial in the development of those
elements of personality, character, etc that make social living possible and
run smoothly.
(Research on Indians and Thais suggests that a "solid sense of self" isn't
as strong as it is in the west.)  How that self-sense operates in daily life
is the stuff of character training, of helping them to develop a sense of
ethical behavior.

However, the teaching on dependent arising strikes me as understandable at
earlier ages and also of potential beneficence in a child's ethical
development. Also metta, mudita, and karuna. I see no problem at all with
helping kids to learn these as desirable action traits. I wouldn't go
overboard with karma as a unit of such instruction, though (see all the
silliness that has led to, in the US, at least.) At a kid's level, the
common adage, "what goes around, comes around" would serve just fine, as
that can be practically demonstrated by a teacher or parent.

Buddhist ideas of the anatta type probably wouldn't have beneficial salience
until adulthood, at least.  Sila, paticca sumuppaada, and those brahma
vihaaras noted probably have a better prospect of helping at earlier ages.
Just my 2 cents. (Is this what you were asking about, or did I misunderstand
you again?)
Best,
Joanna