[Buddha-l] Query about Francisco Varela

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Sun Jan 14 02:33:03 MST 2007

Hi Pedro,

>As a scientist, I am very happy to focus only on things that exist. What would be the use of focusing on things that do not exist? As a matter of fact, it seems that is the provenance of philosophy, and frankly, not much has come out of those efforts, although there has been a lot of argument for roughly 2000 years.

Erik, ganging up with Heidegger, apparently offended you with the world 'only' (“Heidegger accuses science to focus only on things that exist and forget about existence itself”). I am curious to know whether it is true that you focus only on things that exist? You also used the words “use” and “happy” (btw what is their connexion to science?) and I wonder whether this cocktail of “things that exist”, “happiness” and “use” would perhaps be the most efficient recipe for a good and happy life?

Joy