[Buddha-l] junk mail

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed Jan 17 08:27:15 MST 2007

Just for the record. I just deleted about 20 junkmail messages that
came to the buddha-l owner mailbox. Three of them were from the
"bounced" mail list, which means that they were sent to buddha-l and
then bounced back to the buddha-l owner because of bad addresses.
There were no messages from or to any legitimate buddha-l member.

This situation has become noticeably worse since the first of the
year. It is only a matter of time, I think, until someone figures out
how to get mail  past our filters and past our mail bouncing checker
and directly to buddha-l members.

I am talking the IP server folk about further defenses we can take,
and will also be looking at the majordomo software to see what can be
done, if anything.

If you get junk mail through buddha-l, by any chance, please let us
know. It is possible that the entry point may be from one or more of
our subscribers (such as a university server) and not through our
servers directly, and we need to know about it as soon as possible if
the event happens.

If you get junk mail that you think is from buddha-l, please forward
the whole message (all addresses and all) directly to me:

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org

Thanks.