[Buddha-l] Protestant Buddhists

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 29 19:15:56 MST 2007

Richard wrote:

> Sunim's claim to being a Zen master was that he had received inka in a
> dream
> from his deceased master. This claim raised more than a few eyebrows, but
> it
> was not at all unprecedented for hims to claim authority through some kind
> of
> nocturnal transmission.

In the late 1960's Sunim had quite a taste for spirits and was known to be
thrown out of a bar or two in Montreal..
I wonder if his nocturnal transmission was related to this?

Yasutani, the founder of the popular Sanbokyodan sect, though having Dharma
transmission from Harada roshi, also claimed direct transmission from Dogen,
that he claimed to have received in a dream.

Stuart