[Buddha-l] Can Buddhists quit smoking?

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 14:30:53 MDT 2007

Indeed.

My wife - a severe asthmatic - finds incense of almost all kinds
intolerable.

The last time we took my elderly mother to Roman Catholic church the
incense nearly caused her to have a major attack. Praise God and pass
the emergency inhaler (thank God for those).

No one ever thinks of people with respiratory difficulties, and there
are many more besides asthma. Not all disabilities are overt.

I won't go into those hellish candle stores in the malls whose chemical
"scents" are worse than decaying organic matter. Or shops that burn
incense.

Nor will I mention smokers, for whom I trust a very special place in
the afterlife is reserved.

Michael