[Buddha-l] Can Buddhists quit smoking?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jul 9 12:00:33 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:
> So I ask: What reactions does the proposal of a smoke-free
> Buddhist practice provoke among the imminently sensible and mindful
> denizens of buddha-l? Does it incense you or does it seem sensible to
> you?

Incense is a traditional "offering" - in fact the burning of incense
probably has it's origin as a replacement for blood sacrifice. We could
always go back to that, and then have a barbecue (outdoors) afterwards.

As Richard points out, the issue has more to do with trends in
architecture than anything else. Perhaps what we should really be
focusing on is the inherent alienation from nature involved in our
"hermetically" sealed living (and worshiping) spaces.

Also, the sense of smell is (I read this somewhere on the internet -
perhaps even wikipedia - so it must be true) the sense most closely
associated with the emotions. Burning incense is a way of
involving/appealing to the less analytical portions of our minds.

Also, I have found that burning incense (when combined with the right
mantras) has wonderful magical powers - it keeps away both demons and
agnostics.

> To save ourselves from at least one smoked red herring, let me add that
> the person making the proposal grew up in Asia. I say this lest someone
> imagine this proposal to find alternatives to incense might be yet
> another example of Puritanism masquerading as Buddhism.

Unfortunately, Puritanism has been active in Asia almost as long as it
has been active in the West. So I still suspect that this is nothing but
more "Puritanism masquerading as Buddhism". After all, no right-thinking
(that is, unaffected by Puritanism), Asian Buddhist would ever suggest
such a thing!

- Curt