[Buddha-l] H.H. The 11th Panchen Lama reappears

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Jul 30 08:46:23 MDT 2007

On Sunday, my wife and I happened to come across a Tibetan restaurant. It
was closed on Sunday. But it had pasted on its wall something about "Boy
Lama still missing" - an article about the 11th Panchen Lama. We were
talked about it and then went home.

Then this morning, on cable's China Central TV 4 (CCTV4), the showed a
rather lengthy clip of the 11th Panchen Lama visiting Chengde (the
Qing emperors' summer palace near Beijing). He has grown into a handsome
young man, I must say. The newscaster quoted him as thanking the central
government and that he will dedicate himself to strengthening the harmony
between the Party and religions as well as between the races, and that he
will strive for the unity of the motherland.

Looks like the Beijing government is all set to pick the next Dalai Lama
(like the Qing dynasty governments). Will we see another dramatic
escape like the Karmapa? What other options are now available to the
Tibetan government-in-exile?

W.F. Wong