[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jun 26 19:48:31 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 19:26, Katherine Masis wrote:

> On the other hand, I don't think that socializing and
> meditating exclude each other.  Healthy sanghas have a
> balanced mix of both, in my opinion.

That seems about right. I would want to add that the healthiest sanghas also
have an absence of what Weber called "the charisma of office," that is,
people who are held in esteem simply because they happen to be monks, tulkus,
geshes, roshis or abbots. Official charisma is the greatest obstacle to
friendship, and true friendship seems indispensable to a fruitful Buddhist
practice. The practice of friendship seems to me far more important than any
other kind of meditation, although I think the more comfortable one is with
silence, the more likely one is to be able to achieve depth in friendship.
But then I would have such prejudices, wouldn't I, being heavily involved in
both the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and the Friends of the
Western Buddhist Order.

One of the major obstacles to anything truly intellectual going on in the
academic world is these goddamn things we call credentials and degrees, and
all these anti-intellectual ranks and titles such as Lecturer, Assistant
Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, Emeritus Professor and Dean. But
it's no wonder universities have all these deeply entrenched official
impediments. The university did, after all, evolve out of the monastery---and
has done as much to kill the intellectual life as monasteries did to kill
spiritual life. (Alas, I fear I will die without having shaken off these
anti-official prejudices.)

--
Richard Hayes