[Buddha-l] The passing of Samdech Preah Maha Ghosananda

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 15 10:45:54 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 15:44, Jamie Hubbard wrote:

> Samdech Preah Maha Ghosananda, one of the amazing spiritual leaders of
> our times, passed on the morning of Monday, March 13, 2007 in
> Northampton, Massachusetts.

It was sad to see this news upon returning from a blissful five-day respite
from e-mail. Venerable Mahaghosananda was one of those people whose demeanor
and presence gives one great confidence in the dharma. I was fortunate enough
to do two weekend-long mini-retreats with him, one on vipassana and the other
on the brahma-viharas. His twinkling eyes and his gentle sense of humor were
unforgettable.

Once Ven. Mahaghosanda came to Toronto for a few days. He had a very full
schedule of visiting monks, lay Buddhists, Canadian politicians and
academics. Everyone he met gave him a small gift, which he gracefully
accepted. Upon meeting the next person on his rounds, he would accept their
gift and say "And I brought something for you," as he handed them the gift he
had received from his previous encounter. At the end of the day he gave the
last gift he had received to the graduate student who had attended him all
day. He ended the day as free of possessions as he began it, a feat that
deeply inspired all of us who knew about it.

My favorite story about Ven. Mahaghosananda is about his meeting with Pope
John Paul (a well-known Catholic leader). The Vatican officials carefully
instructed Ven. Mahaghosananda on the protocols involved in greeting the
Pope. The venerable sir listened attentively to all the details of how to
enter the room, how to walk, where to stop, what to say and so forth. When he
was finally taken to the room where the Pope was receiving visitors, the
Buddhist monk, who stood no more than about 152cm tall (about 5'0''), ran
across the room with his arms wide open and gave the pontiff a huge bearhug.
The Pope was reportedly delighted to get such a warm and heartfelt greeting.

Thanks for sending this news on, Jamie. I'm sure all of you in the Northampton
area will be feeling this loss of this gentle and inspiring presence. As you
hear of funeral arrangements, please keep us posted.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy