[Buddha-l] Filming silence in a Carthusian monastery

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue May 1 11:24:07 MDT 2007

Film: Die grosse stille, by Philip Groening.

For one review:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/11/wmonk11.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/11/ixworld.html

I went to the filmmaker's website, but most of the links on it don't work.
More silence?

The April 16th New Yorker has a short bit about a Carthusian (exclaustrated)
member, Fr. Halloran, whom Film Forum hired to answer questions after
screenings of the film.

I wrote to see if I can get a review copy. Considering that Buddhists often
observe Noble Silence, and occasionally (in the west) join monasteries, and
that the quotidian world is saturated by loud noise, most egregiously in
movie theaters, if one is not perpetually plugged in--I figured this film
might be of interest to list folk.

Hope it comes to a theater here soon. Viewing a DVD isn't nearly as good as
seeing a film in a movie theater, especially the art film theater here (in
Boise, where I live), where you can actually ask them to turn down the sound
a bit, please, and they will do it.

Joanna