[Buddha-l] Age of the Sutta Nipata

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun May 13 16:46:06 MDT 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007 19:31, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> I vaguely recall reading that the Sutta Nipata was likely to be from
> the earliest stratum of the Pali canon. Or am I making that up?

Many aeons ago, I studied Pali with A.K. Warder. His claim was that the Sutta
Nipata should be considered very early because it is relatively free of
formulaic dogmas such as the 4 noble truths, the 8-fold path and the various
formulae for precepts and types of meditation practice. Warder also had a lot
of assumptions about the age of texts on the basis of verse forms. I was
never able to follow the reasoning on these metric matters; what I could
follow seemed to be based largely on highly questionable assumptions.

I am more sympathetic to the assumption that the less Buddhist dogma a
Buddhist text has, the more likely it is to be early. But that may reveal
more about my anti-dogmatic Unitarian childhood than it reveals about
anything else.

As I said (I hope not too impolitely) to Erik, the age of a text tells me
nothing about its value. Even if one could know for sure that a text was the
very words of the Buddha, it could be total nonsense. And if one could know
for sure that a text was written 1000 years after the Buddha died by a gang
of carousing drunken yak merchants, it might still make a great deal of
sense. In short, we must always be wary of the genetic fallacy, that is, the
fallacious view that one can know whether a statement is true if one can
figure out who said it.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy