[Buddha-l] Age of the Sutta Nipata

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon May 14 01:53:41 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes schreef:
> As I said (I hope not too impolitely) to Erik, the age of a text tells me
> nothing about its value. Even if one could know for sure that a text was the
> very words of the Buddha, it could be total nonsense. And if one could know
> for sure that a text was written 1000 years after the Buddha died by a gang
> of carousing drunken yak merchants, it might still make a great deal of
> sense. In short, we must always be wary of the genetic fallacy, that is, the
> fallacious view that one can know whether a statement is true if one can
> figure out who said it.

Perhaps I should have replied you the first time, Richard, but I was
afraid of getting involved in questions about your dressingcode, an area
of science in which I don't consider myself an expert. The question
reminds me of the discussion between Umberto Eco and Richard Rorty.
Rorty, being a pragmatist, insists that you can read a text in whatever
way you please, while Eco still holds on to the art of interpretation,
i.e. there are worse and better ways to read a text. For both Richards,
a text is an instrument, for Eco (and me) a text is also a monument. I
think this has a lot to do with the pragmatics of a text, which of
course doesn't mean that reading a text is solely a pragmatic affair. If
you want to learn a language for instance, the textbook you use is an
instrument and you couldn't care less whether it was written in 1900 or
2000, by a Russian or a Chinese, as long as it does the job. If you're
interested in the history of ideas however, the history of the text is a
part of its meaning. This is because history only has meaning to us if
we're part of it ourselves. This is what most pragmatists don't accept,
but I fail to see how you can ignore it.
So, Richard, I think that by talking about the value of a text, you mix
instrumental and monumental value, and  that subsequently you deny the
last one as a real value.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms