[Buddha-l] Age of the Sutta Nipata

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Mon May 14 03:24:13 MDT 2007

Dear Franz,

There are four main reasons:

1. The Pali is in verse of an apparently more archaic form.

2. There are references to texts included in the Pali Suttanipaata
contained in texts of the Pali Canon such as the Sa.myutta and
Anguttara Nikaayas.

3. It is possible but not certain that the Emperor Asoka refers to
one or more such texts.

4. There is a canonical commentary - the Niddesa - on parts of the
Suttanipaata.

All four arguments, although widely adopted, are fallacious, if
thought to establish 'the earliest stratum of the Pali Canon'.

Taking them point by point:

1.
a) The archaic language is better accounted for by supposing that
they were not part of the oral tradition recited by monks but were
written down much earlier than the discourses of the four Nikaayas
(no doubt considered more important ).
b) Some of the verses contained in the Suttanipaata (Sn) are probably
inherited from earlier ascetic traditions, quite probably
pre-Buddhist. We have no way of telling at what date they were
included.

2. There are similar references to other texts e.g. to  the
Sakkapañha Sutta of the Diighanikaaya (describing the visit of Sakka
and other deities to the Buddha). It does not seem very likely that
this Sutta belongs to 'the earliest stratum', but views might differ
on that. So this proves only a relatively early date, not certainly
and perhaps not even probably, belonging to the life-time of the
Buddha.

3. It is possible (and even more certain) that the Emperor Asoka also
refers to a discourse in the Majjhimanikaaya. But in any case his
Edict is probably around two centuries after the date when the Buddha
commenced his teaching career. There is no reason to think he would
have known what was the earliest stratum and no special reason to
think he would be citing the oldest texts known at the time.

4. The existence of a canonical commentary - one of the latest texts
in the Canon - proves only that the text was popular and of
recognized authority in the late canonical period. Note that other
works can also be viewed as types of old commentary, notably portions
of the Abhidhamma and Vinaya Pi.takas. These cite or quote other
relatively early texts.

We should note too that most of the above arguments apply to the last
two sections of the  Suttanipaata only. These seem to have been
separate texts in the North West (it is not quite certain, since we
do not know how the relevant portion of the Canon was arranged by the
NW schools).

Two further arguments have already been mentioned by Hazy Dick. I
also think that the arguments based on the evolution of metre are
suspect and would in any case not necessarily take us back to the
earliest stratum. And of course some verses may be of non-Buddhist
origin - who knows what their date would be.

Many people seem to have been attracted to versions of the argument
that Sn "should be considered very early because it is relatively
free of formulaic dogmas such as the 4 noble truths, the 8-fold path
and the various formulae for precepts and types of meditation
practice".

I consider this too to be entirely fallacious. This is hardly the
sort of thing you would expect to find frequently in verses. So it
proves nothing as to whether these ideas were known at the time. To
me it seems likely that after a long teaching career the Buddha and
his disciples would be likely to have formulated many of the basic
teachings. And some may have been taught from the beginning.

Much of what is said here seems to me to be circular argument. If you
start with the assumption that Sn represents an earlier pre-dogmatic
form of Buddhism, then you translate and interpret on this basis.
Then use the result  to prove the existence of such an early form of
Buddhism. K.R. Norman in particular does this as a point of principle
and his translations are often very insightful as a result. But
sometimes he is clearly wrong to do this. Or, so it seems to me. I
would read e.g. the Question of Posaala (Sn 1112-15)  as containing
very clear references to meditation stages.

My own view would be that the internal evidence of some of the
Majjhimanikaaya discourses strongly suggests that they are likely to
belong to the earliest stratum, but views are likely to differ on
this.

Lance Cousins