[Buddha-l] Age of the Sutta Nipata

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 14:33:29 MDT 2007

Gang,

Thanks to Piya, Richard, and especially Lance for their responses
regarding the age of the Suttanipaata. I'm struck by Lance's contention
that arguments on the earliness of texts tend to be circular or suffer
from petitio principii. Very convenient to be a translator as well as a
commentator in such a matter. One can then point to the authority of
the apt text so much more easily when supporting one's
conclusions/assumptions!

In the end, as Lance says, "views are likely to differ on this." How
delightful that I can go on thinking of both the Suttanipaata and parts
of the Majjhimanikaaya as "early/authoritative" simply because I like
them.

(I'm hopeful and naive enough to think I would *not* do this in my own
subfields of Buddhist practice in America and the depth psychology of
Buddhism. Indeed, in those fields, what I *like* I'm especially
*suspicious* of. But I will allow myself a little luxury of attachment
in early Pali literature.)

Franz